The barn is finally finally nearing completion. It’s been a long haul to get here and I’ve had a ton of help for which I’m grateful. Funny thing, I was talking to my friend Skip last year and showed him the drawings of what the barn would look like and he asked me, “why does it have to be so complicated?” He’s not wrong. It didn’t really need to be that complex. But where’s the fun in that?
Standing back and looking at this construct has had a profound impact on me. This is only the 2nd building I’ve ever designed and built for myself. The first being the Seedhouse. The design is interesting and I love form. It’s pretty slick if you ask me.
It’s pretty obvious that though the structure is complete, the work is far from over. I need to get a dozer or front end loader out here. The rubble from the barn needs to get moved out back and covered with soil. It’ll happen, eventually. And the parts of the 3rd bin need to get hauled out. Not really sure where to just yet, but it can’t stay where it is.
The most ridiculous part of the entire project is that the part that connects the bins is actually unnecessary. I put it up simply so the animals could come out in the winter. Oh, and it’s the keep the rain from flooding the bins.
The center of the front roof was leftover material from before the fire. My plan was to peal the 2 layers of shingles off and replace them with metal. I purchased the materials and put them behind the barn but then I dawdled and winter came. Then the fire happened. Sometimes things have a way of working out. The entire rest of the roof came here as a “donation” from the roofing company that I was a carpenter for some years ago. I was able to sift through the scrap pile before it got sent to the scrap yard. Some of it had been the roof on the addition to the old barn. Though burned, it works fine as wall cover for the back side. It’ll eventually need painted but so will the bins. The rear section of the roof used up the remainder of the metal. With a couple of skylights made of profile clear plastic materials left over from when I put up the shop building across the street.
The “window” that runs through both rear walls is left from my ill conceived idea to have a clear south facing roof on the Seedhouse as a way to heat the floor in the winter. Unfortunately this turned the space into a sweltering hotbox the rest of the year. Now it lets in light while also blocking wind snow and rain.
All that’s left is putting up lights in the center section. But there’s no pressure on that. Time to turn my attention towards the woodshed.