Trying out this slideshow thing.
Quite a day. I’ve been thinking and looking at shaving horses since the comment in my last post brought it up. Wether it helps or not remains to be seen. I made it from Locust I just cut. First was splitting the seat. Haven’t done that in 25 years. Getting the split to stay centered in the log is tricky. The clearer the log, the easier the split. The legs are shaved down branches. The only part that isn’t Locust is the 2 vertical arms that hold the treadle and the brace. After the 2nd split log cracked too, while drilling the 1″ peg holes, I decided to go with some Oak from the blow-down last summer. I’ve got to replace the short log section laying on the bench attached to the right side. It’s about 2″ too short and won’t brace the piece properly. Pretty slick piece of work if you ask me. Gave me ideas..
It would have been easier to make this thing if I had a shave horse to make the parts on.
The large shed frame went on hold yesterday as we accidentally invited the entire Courier readership to a Potluck here last night. Leah had one of her Newsletters reprinted in the paper instead of an actual press-release. Oops. No harm done. The gathering went well. No fistfights, no puking, 911 was NOT called. We all got to meet folks we had never met before. A couple from Chardon showed up offering even Leah and I a chance to make new friends. Someone came up from PGH. Bit of a haul there. The folks from CHEF (Cherry Hill Ecological Farm) came over for the first time. All in all a pretty awesome time.