The work goes in the barn. I’ve been making Floor Lasagna.
Instead of a pan, I’ve dug down to the native soil under the addition. On this I’ve laid a layer of heavy black plastic. Then in successive layers, either tamped clay soil or cement, all Tetrised together. It’s hard work regardless. Each bit of clay has to come up into the box on the back of the MULE. With the weather getting warmer, the clay soil around the pond where I get the clay has all the fixings to turn into a proper quagmire in fairly short order.
The clay I’m using was pushed up into a 20′ high mound behind the pond across the street. It came out of the hole that is now that same pond. The rich pond bottom of the pond that was there before has been spread around the local area while all the clay was pushed up into the pile. As a result, the only thing that has really grown exceedingly well is a thick blanket of green moss. It’s quite beautiful to look at, but when it thaws over an layer of frozen clay, it just smokes out of the tire’s path, leaving a large gash with the moss raised up on either side. I guess it is the lack of roots that causes it. The ruts aren’t necessarily deep either. It’s just the moss that squeegees out of the way. The additional 1000# in the box is hard to argue with. I can and have stepped most of it back into place but once things really get to melting next week, that frozen layer will be more soup. I’ve got the next few days of frozen weather to get as much clay over here as possible. I’ve lost track of how many loads I’ve pulled. I don’t really see how the number is all that important. The only load that matters is the last one.
That last load is buried somewhere in that clay pile on the other side of the pond.